Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Gas smell direct vent gas fireplace

We have a Vermont Castings direct vent gas fireplace (converted to propane) in our living room. Every time I am in that room, I smell propane down by the hearth. I don't have to be close to the pilot to smell it. Three (yes three) different gas and fireplace technicians have come over, checked the fireplace and lines and insist there's no leak. I still smell it; it's not subtle. Some details:

We have a gas oven as well, and I never smell propane there.

I smell it whether or not the fireplace is lit.

The only way to get rid of the smell is to turn the propane to the fireplace off completely, under the unit itself (which I have done).

The smell persists regardless of how much propane is in our tank--it is currently 3/4 full.

The fireplace is about 13 years old. I first noticed this last winter.



Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this and how I can get it repaired? We'd really like to use the fireplace, but the chemical odorant in the propane is quite distinctive, and I'm not willing to gamble with my family's lives. Thank you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment