Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Attic encapsulation

I think that maybe instead of dropping big money on an upstairs variable speed 3 ton 20 seer heatpump , I should pay to encapulate my attic with closed cell foam and purchase a 2 ton 2 stage 16 seer Heat pump.

My reason is that 2/3 of my attic is finished and conditioned. The roof is only a couple feet above in these rooms and they get hot in the nc Sun. Secondly, the upstairs hvac unit is in the attic unconditioned space along with the ducts. It is intensely hot in the summer in the unconditioned attic at 130- 140 degrees Fahrenheit. My house currently has soffit and ridge venting but I question the efficacy of it.

I think moving the thermal envelope to the roof deck will maximize my comfort and energy savings.

Do you agree? Are you a proponent of encapsulated attics? Concerns?

No comments:

Post a Comment