Sunday, August 2, 2015

Stair stringer layout

Hi all,
Question on depth of treads and I want to make sure I wasn't missing something.

I am trying to keep things simple and do a 7-1/2" rise and 10" run, based on numerous stair calculators and our actual height. 2, 5/4x6 boards is supposed to yield 11", which leaves a 1" overhang. Sounds simple, right?

We are doing a cumaru deck (hardwood, almost like ipe). They recommend 1/4" spacing due to being kiln dried and it will definitely expand as opposed to contract. Seeing as I'l have 2 gaps there, it seems like that is more like 11-1/2", so my runs would have to be 10 1/2" each to accommodate. If I come in just under that (10-3/8"), that puts it close to the 5" minimum throat, but should be doable.

Am I missing something here? None of the calculators or articles mention the board gap. Most simply imply that a 10" run is great for 2, 2x6's or what not for the treads.

Thanks,
Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment