Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Wall removal/Header span?

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and lack an engineering degree for my upcoming remodel. Long story short, I'm looking to remove a non load bearing wall between my kitchen and living room. The home was built in 1985, Bi-level with 2x4 engineered roof trusses on 24" centers. The wall in question is 2x4 and has no "header" I believe is the correct terminology). I've been told by 2 amateur contractors the wall is hollow and can be removed without the need for added support. However, I would like to have a header for added support. When the wall is gone the span for the header would be 20'. My question is what wood sizes should be used to span that distance that won't sag and do adverse damage? I was thinking double up on 2x12s and offset the joints to accomplish this but also though they might be pretty heavy themselves. Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment