Wednesday, January 13, 2016

I need "HVAC for Dummies"

I live in the desert SW with severe summer heat and need to replace two 19 year-old ground level AC units for my home (single-level 2500 sq feet.)

I have seen many positive posts for Trane equipment but my neighbor replaced his units with "Day and Night" equipment last year for a lower cost - we both have the same floorplan (including lots of large double-pane windows) but my house gets a lot more western exposure. Does anyone have experience with "Day and Night" equipment?

For 5 ton and 3 ton Trane XL 14 units, 14 SEER/12 EER, both single stage and "non-variable" speed - I was quoted $ (this reflects $400 rebate from electric co) including installation and take-away of old units. This also includes installation of 2 new digital programmable thermostats and new insulated supply and return plenums. It also includes odds and ends like new power cords, drain pans, and overflow shut-off switch.

Now I know how my clients who come to me for financial/retirement advice feel when they (often) say "I have no clue what any of this means and I need you to tell me what you think - or what you would do if you were in my shoes." Though I do basically understand SEER and tonnage measurements and these were what the contractor recommended upon inspection. And the contractor has excellent Yelp and BBB recommendations.

Thanks anyone for comments or feedback!!

No comments:

Post a Comment