Sunday, April 10, 2016

Hobart vs The Rest of the World

Dramatic, yes, but after yesterday, I dunno. I realize Our Company (tm) gets no discount off list price from the 'Bart, which makes our list price double or more Hobart's. But, man...



I'm on call this weekend. I get a call about a dead dm, no brand mentioned, at a seldom serviced place 70 miles from the shop. I make up a work order, good, they are net30. :) Jump in the truck and head up there.



It's a Hobart crs76a, with a (smaller, new style "a" series) 2hp 3 phase wash pump that the seal had given up on about 6 months ago. The noise was deafening. It had another hour or 2 in my opinion before it locked up.



Whip out my trusty tablet, check for a manual on the beast. Hmm, only the prewash section of this rig shows up online, which is a 1 hp motor. Uh oh. Have they nla'd this thing?



The existing motor has a sticker on it that looks like a part number. My tablet pulls that number out of our website, with a list price of... over $5000! Holy bat guano! Plus add on nda shipping, tax, title, etc, etc, and labor, destination, mileage, overtime no less!



I'm getting too old for this. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment