Sunday, May 22, 2016

Problems after replacing bulbs with LEDs

I have a few light fixtures which have experienced different issues after switching from incandescent (halogen) to LED bulbs.



First, I have two of these on our front porch. They are both light and motion sensitive. I have them set to they come on (dim) for 6 hours after dusk, and turn bright when motion is sensed. After the 6 hours, they turn off, but will still come on to full bright with motion.



Anyway, they've worked fine for years. Then I replaced the halogens with these LEDs. Now both the light sensing and motion sensing functions are inoperative. They're basically just "dumb" lights now: turn on and off with the switch, nothing else. Why?



The web page says you can use LEDs, as long as they are dimmable, and they are. Yet it seems like somehow the LEDs have killed both of the sensing functions. And to top it off, I put halogens back and and the light / motion sensing is still dead. It's like the LEDs permanently killed them! Does this make any sense?







Separately, I have an interior light fixture which holds 3 incandescent bulbs. I switched them to 3 LEDs and the worked fine. However, the fixture is on a dimmer, and I had forgotten to buy dimmable LEDs. So I went out and bought dimmable LEDs and swapped them out. Now, 1 of the 3 sockets won't work with the dimmable LED! It works with the incandescent/halogen, works with the non-dimmable LED, but won't work with the dimmable LED! And the other 2 sockets work fine with any of the bulbs. Any ideas on this one?



Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment