Sunday, March 6, 2016

Ground-level deck - flush beams, cantilever, etc.

In lieu of a patio, my wife's current idea is to build a ground-level deck. Being most comfortable with wood, I am OK with this, as I can do it without even needing any help. Well, that is, past the design phase.



The deck (or rather, wooden patio) will be the following: 12'x20', directly underneath our elevated deck, and then a 12'x19' area next to it (so 12'x39'). However, the 19' foot area will have a trapezoidal bumpout (the corners, at 12' from the house, will go out four feet). So the furthest point is a straight line 11' wide.



I don't care for the deck blocks as I don't feel they're very secure. I will do poured footings - concrete is cheap, and I have the occasional night or weekend to dig and pour. No big deal. That said, where would you put footings? I have three deck posts potentially in the way (approximately 10' from the house, supporting the ledger deck).



I plan to do flush beams as the height between grade and the deck level is only about 6", so I want to use 2x8 or 2x6 joists with doubled beams of the same nominal dimension (set on the footings, no posts). This minimizes both the digging and the height above grade. I know I should be able to cantilever near the house (that's all one height), but for flush beams I can't cantilever the trapezoidal bumpout portion (or can I)? It seems silly and I should just put two additional footings 11' apart, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment