Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Water heater not keeping water at desired temp

I've got a State Select 40 gal natural gas water heater that was bought new in 2013. It seems like its not keeping the water at or near the temperature setting.



Sometimes when we go to shower, the water may or may not be hot... maybe warm. Then again it could be at proper temp. Eventually, I though, maybe the thermostat isnt coming on as soon as it should as the water temp drops. Therefore, its letting the water temp drop too low before the thermostat tells the burner to kick on & heat the water.



So, I started going to the tub, turn only the hot water on, run out about 5 or 10 gallons, which would run more fresh cold water into the water heater, therefore kicking on the burner. In a few minutes I go back & take a hot shower. I think the water temp is dropping 10 degrees or more before the thermostat tells the burner to kick on.



I do have the temp turned up pretty high because I was not getting hot water. There is only two of us so, we only wash clothes etc once per week, on the weekends. So, during the week, we don't use hot water very much, especially during the day. Since we dont use hot water, the water temp drops & the thermostat doesnt come on as soon as it should, allows the water temp to drop too low before the thermostat kicks on to heat the water to the desired temp, therefore, we have only warm water.



My question is, is there a way for me to adjust the amount that the water temp drops before the burner kicks on. And/or, do you think that's my problem? Maybe another issue? Maybe thermostat is bad etc?

No comments:

Post a Comment