Sunday, September 20, 2015

Equipment upgrade, need help.

I'm currently deciding between two units to upgrade my system and need some opinions.
The first one I'm considering is a Carrier VS18 heat pump with furnace ( for hybrid/dual fuel system).
The second one is a Trane XL18i heat pump full system and with furnace.
The price difference is less than 10% of the total install price (more for the Carrier). I realize the Carrier is rated a little better on the HSPF but I've read alot forums and reviews and have seen an alarming number of people that seem to have had various issues with the infinity systems from compressor issues to the smart system it uses not working right.
On the Trane side, i've been hard pressed to find many complaints about it, the main ones I found sounded like bad installs as opposed to equipment failures. One simple thing that stands out to me is the sheer size difference in the two and from that standpoint I would think larger surface area in the outside unit (in the Trane) would do better but Carrier has their new technology (micro tubes?) that seems to be rated better. Any advice is appreciated.

I'm in Iowa, I have a single story brick ranch of about 1400 above ground space with a full basement. The house has is very well insulated. They sized me with a 2 ton system, I currently have a 2.5 ton Trane XE1200 system from '96 and it has no problem keeping my temp at 70 even on 100 degree humid days.

No comments:

Post a Comment