Monday, September 28, 2015

Need help deciphering which unit is right for my home

Hi guys...

I currently have 2 tempstar units in my house (approximately 9 seer) from 2001 (model ntc6075fba2). One started leaking freon, and I've been informed by two separate contractors that it's time to have a new system installed.

Now a little background...the first HVAC company I've used for years with no complaints, while the second company was recently referred to me by someone I trust. While the first company has always done very good work for us, we've wondered whether or not all the work they've done was truly necessary. On top of that we really had a good feeling about the new company.

Now, here's where I need help. They each confirm I need a new unit. The first company is telling me to go ahead and replace both, the second company is telling me that as long as the original unit is working, there is no urgency. That being said, they indicated I should start saving for a new one as I will need replacement sooner rather than later.

The first company is recommending two Lennox 3 Ton 16 SEER (XC16-036-SL280UH090V48b) and the second company is recommending A Rheem 3 Ton 15.5 SEER (R801TA75417MSA). The price is roughly equal (the first company is slightly more expensive if I only install one and slightly more than twice as expensive if I install two).

I should note that the second (new company) was less than impressed with the install job the first company did on our original units stating it wasn't sealed well, poor access to filters, etc... and indicated they would do the job right should we choose them.

I have no idea the differences between the above units. Either sounds like a tremendous step up in SEER rating over my existing unit, and they seem to be the same size unit, but other than that is there a difference in quality? Both are telling me they have the same extended warranty. How do I choose which unit to go with?

Thanks for any direction you can give me.

No comments:

Post a Comment