Saturday, May 30, 2015

Caulking Interior Door Stop

I bought five special order custom sized pre-hung interior doors from Lowes but I wasn't happy about how the door stops met in the corners (the skinny piece of wood on the inside of the jamb that stops the door from swinging through to the other side). Instead of having an angled cut in the corners the side pieces go all the up and the top piece of door stop lines up square in the corners.

I complained about it but the Lowes rep said I should caulk where the door stop meets the jamb and this will hide all seams and therefore the ugly door stop corners will be hidden.

In theory the rep is correct, if all the door stop seams are caulked then the corner cuts will not show. For that matter, after caulking, the entire door stop will look like one piece. But my concern is, does anyone ever caulk the seam where the door stop meets the jamb? After caulking and painting will the caulking residue be seen through the paint?

For reference, I bought two special order doors from Home Depot and they corners were cut at an angle and look perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment