Saturday, May 30, 2015

Liftmaster Professional Garage Door Opener intermittently not operating

Hey everyone! - okay, so I have a weird intermittent problem with my LiftMaster "Professional Formula I" garage door opener (1/2 HP, 6.0A, Model 3280-267, Manufacture Date 6/19/2006, Part No: 41AB050-2).

About 4 weeks ago, when trying to get the garage door to open by pressing the wall button mounted in our garage, nothing moved. The light bulb mounted in the unit switched on when I pressed the button, so I know that power is getting to the device, and that it 'thinks' it has been turned on.

Unsure of what was going on, I manually unclipped the door from the drive belt thingy by pulling the red handle, raised the door up and down a few times, then hit the button again. It worked with no load on it, and 'clipped' back into the door and then it worked fine for a few weeks.

It has started happening with more and more frequency however, (although of course today it is working fine), and I am starting to think that the 'unclipping' of the door was a coincidental fix because there are some instances where the issue occurs (no movement) even when the door is unclipped and the opened is under no load.

So - I cracked it open this morning and just looked around. Here are pictures from a variety of angles. Circuit board has no obvious intermittent solder joints or anything like that, but hard to know for sure just on visual inspection. While not an expert, I tend to think that "black junk" fallen on the white gear is probably not good for whatever sits above the white gear, but again not sure if that's just wear and tear for a 9-year old unit, or it's part of the cause for what's going on. Thoughts? Is it the bearing or gear? An intermittent relay problem? Many thanks - here are the pics (sorry they are upside down - thanks to my iPhone, but it should not effect getting the point across hopefully)
Attached Images

No comments:

Post a Comment