Thursday, July 30, 2015

Air Filter Foam Weatherstripping Questions

I have a question about the foam weatherstripping that is on the downstream side of two White-Rodgers filters I just bought. The foam seal adds 5/8 inch to the thickness of the filter. My box is 4" in that dimension. I'm guessing that I'm supposed to squeeze it in with a really snug fit. I'm assuming the weatherstripping is there to form a really good seal to prevent unfiltered air from entering the system. My question is this: Why is there a gap in the weatherstripping? Both filters have a 3/8-1/2" gap in the weatherstripping seal. Wouldn't the gap let unfiltered air into the system? I don't get why the manufacturer would install a foam seal, then leave a gap in it. Since the gap is on the same corner of both filters, I have to assume the filters were built that way on purpose and it wasn't a worker mistake. Any thoughts on this? Are they really meant to install with the small gap in the seal?

Thank you.
Attached Images

No comments:

Post a Comment