Saturday, July 25, 2015

Inefficient system.

Hello - Just wanted to start by saying I have followed these forums for roughly a year - I have only now just joined. Was looking for some input from you guys possibly. My grandfather has an old condensing coil with a new evaporator (I believe the evaporator is using the piston that came with it and not the piston that was on the old evap coil). Unit is R-22, 2 ton.

The average Temperature Pressures were as follows (there was large amounts of fluctuation between both subcooling and superheat, more than usual):

79 Degree ambient outside - 66 degrees on the wetbulb

91 degree air is measured at mid way on the condenser coil

Pressures:74 suction pressure with 51 degree suction temp measured (for a superheat of 7 degrees) - 257 head pressure with 107 degree liquid line temp (giving 12 degree subcooling). The head pressure is so high because the the fins on the condenser are easily over 30% smashed, but the issue is that feral cats have been urinating on the Condenser, the fins crumble apart with the slightest movement, so combing them is out of the question. ( I tried to get him to get a new condenser but he doesn't want to)

The house wont get below 80 degrees.

Three of his vents are only 4 inch pipe (the airflow is not good, but it is decent enough, I have not been able to measure the CFM, for that I am sorry. - but there is good airflow across the coil and decent air comes through the vents, seems like some is certainly lost from static pressure.

So basically my question is do you think changing the 3, 4 inch runs ( runs are less than 5 feet) would help cfm/airflow (it really does seem ok, though I know nothing takes place of proper measurements)

Is his only option to replace the condenser? (amps on compressor were ok)

Also I know some change is normal, but this is also why I was wondering if it could be the piston - because the SH is regularly fluctuating between 4-11 degree , while the condenser subcooling is fluctuating anywhere from 9-17(!) subcooling. - Doing this roughly 2-3 times in a matter of 5-10 mins

Any thoughts? Mostly I am thinking it is either the Piston or the restricted airflow across his condenser. It could be the airflow, but all vents have like 54 degree air coming out with some decent airflow ( again sorry for lack of CFM measurements.)

No comments:

Post a Comment