Saturday, July 25, 2015

Microwave Trips GFCI

I have a 700 watt countertop microwave (from 2002) plugged into a three-prong GFCI in my kitchen. For the past few weeks the GFCI will trip when I use the microwave. I have been pressing the reset button and the microwave will work for a while, and then it trips again. I am concerned because it has been tripping daily for the past few days so I thought I'd ask for opinions. (I know nothing about electricity.) Nothing else is plugged into that outlet, only the microwave.

I tested the outlet by pressing the test button, which turns the green indicator light off, and then pressing the reset button which turns the green light on again. Does this mean that the outlet itself is OK? Is it likely that the microwave is going bad? I don't want to call an electrician if the problem is the microwave.

Should I switch the microwave to a different GFCI outlet and see if the same thing happens? I appreciate any feedback on this as it is kind of stressing me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment