Saturday, July 25, 2015

Help: HVAC Stops Blowing Cold Air

Hello,

I purchased my home last October and this is my first HVAC season. For the first few warm months, my HVAC ran fine and kept the house cool, although it has been mild around Chicago this year and I have not needed to run it constantly.

About a week ago (when it finally did get warm), I noticed that the HVAC was not blowing cold air, just a faint room temperature stream. I also noticed that the condenser had frost on it both inside and outside the house. So I turned the unit off, let it defrost, and turned it on again. It runs fine for about 5 minutes, blowing cold air into the house. Then it reverts back to the weak, warmer blowing. I also sometimes hear a metallic sound from the vents, as if something were banging on something, but only just when the unit kicks on.

I had an HVAC guy come out. We replaced the filters and he flushed the compressor. He checked the unit and said there were no leaks or other issues with it. I had him do a repeat visit when it wasn't working still. He said it's either a duct issue or a thermostat issue, but definitely not the unit itself. I don't think it's the thermostat because it seems to work as prompted.

I've looked in the ducts as best I can, but don't see anything blocking or restricting airflow. The damper is in the open position as well.


Any idea what the deal is? At this point, I'm not even sure whom to call, i.e another HVAC person or duct cleaners or an electrician, but will do anything to be able to sleep comfortably throughout the night again.

Thanks so much for your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment