Wednesday, June 17, 2015

60AMP Sub Panel to Detached Workshop - 230ft from main panel

I placed a call this morning to the local inspector, but I figured I would ask my questions here too while I'm waiting to hear back from him.

I need to run wire approx. 230ft from my main panel (which is at the front of the house), to a 60amp main breaker subpanel in my workshop in the back yard. About 50 ft of wire will be inside the house, and the remaining 180 feet will be outside. I know I need to run direct burial wire outside, and I've been looking at aluminum URD for that.

1st question - Can I run the URD wire inside as well? Are their any restrictions to that?

2nd question - I want to make sure that I don't have more than a 3% voltage drop, and I'm unsure what size wire I need to accomplish this. What size aluminum wire would I need to run? I've tried a number of online calculators, but I've been getting varying results.

3rd question - Should I use a conduit, like Liquidtight to protect the wire, or am I safe to just place the wire in the ground?

I'm very new to running wire underground and at long distances, so I appreciate any help. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment