Sunday, June 28, 2015

Backup Generator Problem

I have a backup generator that was installed by an electrician about 5 years ago. Everything was done to code, I have a lockout switch that prevents power from being fed back into the grid. The power cord plugs into my generator and the I have a twist and lock connection on the side out the house. Anyway, tonight the power went out and I went through the usual process of converting over to generator power. As soon as I attempted to plug the power cable into my generator, it drew down as if it were under an immediate load and popped the breaker on the generator. I double checked that all the circuit breakers in the service panel were off. Why would I be drawing a load when nothing is on? Any suggestions on what to check first? I opened the plug on the outside of the house and the service pane inside, everything looks like it should. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment