Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Ignition question..

Ok so my question revolves around a garden tractor. I know it's probably fairly uncommon here but it does run on 12VDC so the principles are the same as a car or any other low voltage application.

Long story short, I have a tecumseh engine that originally ran a Solid State Ignition (SSI) that has failed. Following Ed Stoller @Circuit Diagram & Explanation instructions I wired up Option 1, then Option 2. Why? because for some reason I cannot get more than 6.5vdc at the coil + post. Going with Option two eliminated the aged key switch. So as it sits right now I have Battery to ballast resistor (1.4ohm) input, to Coil +.. Measuring at ballast input I read 12.4vdc, at coil + I read 6.5vdc.


Now quite literally the physical chain is (using brand new 14gauge wire, 120v rocker switch, ballast resistor and automotive ignition coil) battery, rocker switch, ballast input, coil +

Surely 1.4ohms is not enough to halve 12 volts right? Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

No comments:

Post a Comment