Monday, June 1, 2015

Two wall shed

Hello there Dear members,

I am new to this forum as I usually use google search and then piece up the information gathered to utilize in my projects. Though this time I am using all possible shortcuts as all the numerous projects, including a caravan made last winter, have tired me out and I would love to do something else for a change. Like reading a book in the house I am now about to construct :-)
I have recently moved to a piece of land where there is a stone building. Didn't take me much to realize how devastating it is to leave anything exposed to the sun and rain and I want to build a simple storage (this is one of the short-cuts mentioned above). It was first supposed to serve for a cover for the caravan as well as my van, but owing to the difficulties I may face, I am easy to change ideas.
As can be seen in the simple drawing attached, I only want to raise two walls over which I will throw a lean-to roof, to create a valley that will collect rainwater from both roofs.
Walls will be built of straw bales on stone foundation (not deep as everything above will be quite light).
First question:
As I wanted to store my van (2.5m tall) in there, there is no room for a cross brace between walls... owing to the fact that the gutter will be at 1.8m, because that's where the existing roof terminates. Would a buttress suffice or should I forget about the van being inside?
Second:
As there needs to be 1m of eave, wouldn't that be too much? If so, How would you support it? Fixed poles may not be an option as I want to have a row of water tanks (1000l cubes) underneath the gutters...
Third:
For a light roof of corrugated iron, what would be the maximum distance between 2x6 (50mm x 150mm) rafters? Span will the largest possible between 2.5 and 3.5m. There is no snow where i am but wind may be an issue.

I am open for any other ideas that will be cost- and labour-effective but also renewable (concrete being 2-3 times cheaper that anything else where I am, even straw bales... however, I want to avoid it by any means).

I will highly appreciate any help as I look forward to having my well deserved rest in the house that I want to build based on the project and experience of the shed discussed above.
Attached Images

No comments:

Post a Comment